ANSWERS TO MISSIONS CONFERENCE QUIZ
2018 Calvary Chapel Missions Conference Quiz
(Sponsored by The Hastening)
Test your knowledge of what God is doing in the world:
1) The Abrahamic Covenant is found where in Scripture: (5 Points)
Book GENESIS Chapter 12 Verse(s) 1-3; there are some other references that state the same promise later in Genesis. Those will count also...but Genesis 12:1-3 is the first expression of this covenant.
2) The “10/40 Window” is that part of our present world where 10% of the world’s poorest people live and 40% of the least reached. (2 Points)
True ________ False X The 10/40 Window is the rectangular area of North Africa, the Middle East and Asia approximately between 10 degrees north and 40 degrees north latitude. The 10/40 Window is often called "The Resistant Belt" and includes the majority of the world's Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists.
3) Some of Jesus’ last words on earth were: (check all that apply) (5 Points)
X Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation
X As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you
X You shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and even to the remotest parts of the earth.
X Go therefore and make disciples of all nations
The correct answer here is ALL of them....each of the four gospels and the first chapter of the Book of Acts contain a version of the "Great Commission."
4) An Unreached People Group (UPG) is a group of people (some large and some small) who have no Christians, no church, no missionaries. (2 Points)
True ________ False X The definition of unreached: there are not SUFFICIENT believers to be able to REACH and ESTABLISH an indigenous local church (that is, a church located in and relevant for that people group and able to reproduce and grow). Often there are SOME believers, SOME or ALL scripture and SOME missionaries but not an established, indigenous reproducing church community(ies).
5) Approximately how many people groups are there in the world? (2 Points)
The correct answer is: 4
6) Select from the following unreached people groups those that have a population over 25 million: (5 Points)
Shaikh of Bangladesh
Sunda of Indonesia
Hakka of China
Yadav of India
Turk of Turkey
The answer is ALL of these groups have more than 25 million people (at least) who have no church in their language, culture, geography, etc. the Shaikh are the largest unreached people group in the world with 238 million people.
7) Rank the following countries in HIGHEST number of BUDDHISTS as a PERCENTAGE of their population: (5 Points)
______3___ Qatar ___2_____ Japan ____1___ Thailand
The actual percentages are: Thailand 85%; Japan 69% and Qatar 2%
8) “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (5 Points)
Where is this verse found?
Book _Matthew_ Chapter __24__ Verse _14_____
9) Who wrote “An Enquiry Into the Obligation of Christians to Use Means for the Conversion of the Heathens”? (5 Points)
❑ a. Donald McGavran ❑ b. Ralph Winter ❑ c. Hudson Taylor ❑ d. Samuel Zwemer X e. None of the above
This is almost a trick question. William Carey wrote this in the 1792 and it was used by God to help the church understand their role in fulfilling the great commission of Jesus.
10) Jonah didn't want to go to Nineveh because he: (5 Points)
❑ a. feared losing his job as court prophet X b. knew God wanted to save Nineveh
❑ c. was afraid that the Ninevites would harm him ❑ d. was hiding from God
Jonah is called the "Reluctant Prophet" because he knew what God was going to do and ran the other way! Jonah was very pleased to have God work in his Jewish people....but not the filthy Ninevites. But God had other plans!
11) Short-term missionaries and tourists are unlikely to go through “culture shock.” (2 Points)
X True ❑ False
The answer to this question may surprise you. For the first three months or more, a person arriving in another culture generally feels a sense of excitement. Things are new, interesting, etc. After several months the reality of the difference in the other culture can hit pretty hard.
12) Ethnocentrism is best defined as: (5 Points)
❑ a. dealing with the key leader of the people group. X b. judging other cultures by one's own.
❑ c. relating well with the central facets of the culture. ❑ d. ignoring or despising one's own culture.
An ethnocentric person views the world through the lens that says "my country, my people, my language is the best"